Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Nick and the Candlestick by Sylvia Plath (Read 662 times)
sierra
Gold Star Member

Re: Nick and the Candlestick by Sylvia Plath
Reply #48 - Oct 15th, 2006 at 11:19pm
Print Post  
Quote:
though there is no symbol for a potato --- or a baker or butcher...I guess we can not really ask if there is an implied "candelstick MAKER?

Now that you mention it, there are the knives.....but I don't think we can use the plums for potatoes though they both begin with p ???  Hey wait a minute!  She is a miner, maybe she's dug up some rotten potatoes! Shocked
« Last Edit: Oct 15th, 2006 at 11:24pm by sierra »  

IP Logged

sierra
Gold Star Member

Reply #47 - Oct 15th, 2006 at 11:15pm
Print Post  
Quote:
For me, this poem speaks on many levels without a shred of biographical necessity.

I agree with you, it is an amazing piece.  I would feel like I missed out on something great had I not tried to understand it--I struggle with deciphering symbolism and metaphors, and sometimes vocabulary in poems--so I need to read poems over many times before I get a good picture of what I might be seeing.  My first post was before I did any brainstorming and before looking into the individual stanzas and trying to tie them together into some purposeful message or meaning. 

« Last Edit: Oct 15th, 2006 at 11:16pm by sierra »  

IP Logged

sierra
Gold Star Member

Reply #46 - Oct 15th, 2006 at 11:04pm
Print Post  
Quote:
  The candlestick, though, is the holder of the candle rather than both together.

Ok--I looked it up and couldn't find it, then I when back and there it was in the dictionary!  The candlestick is the holder--surprising the words you find you didn't really know.  I had heard of candelabra and candle holders, but I never actually knew that "candlestick" meant the holder!

IP Logged

nas
Supreme Member

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #45 - Oct 15th, 2006 at 9:34pm
Print Post  
I agree with you Norm.  I think a poem fails if you have to know the poets biography to understand what he or she is saying.   

A poem should stand alone.  If it is too cryptic to interpret then the poet is writing just for themselves and not to be read by others.

This particular poem can be understood without knowing anything about the writer though a quick google does help with insight as does having read other poems of hers.

For example thanks to Tim posting the earlier Candle poem, I know realise that when Plath talks about the stalactites she means the candles and how the wax dripping looks like tears.

She is the miner holding the candle which represents the baby and he is a light in the darkness of her depression.

IP Logged

Normpo
Topic Starter Topic Starter
Forum Administrator

Reply #44 - Oct 15th, 2006 at 8:45pm
Print Post  
Tim wrote: "Do we have enough information to support the idea of a miscarriage, depression, loneliness, etc. "

It is a "fact" that Sylvia Plath is almost always named when the confessional poets of the 50's and 60's are brought up. Though Robert Lowell is the most famous of the lot, Plath is right up there high on the list and her poem, "Daddy" is probably one of the most recognized "confessional" poems.

So ---- do we HAVE TO know the biography to get meaning and worth from a poem? I would vote "NO"! A good poem that speaks to the reader should not have to depend on the research into the N's life. Will such a Google search shed additional light and insight? >>> probably. But poetry should not be pure esoterica -- the N has an obligation IMHO to reach us by the words alone.

For me, this poem speaks on many levels without a shred of biographical necessity.

But that's just my personal opinion ~smile~.

Norm
« Last Edit: Oct 15th, 2006 at 8:47pm by Normpo »  

IP Logged

Tim
Supreme Member

Reply #43 - Oct 15th, 2006 at 8:36pm
Print Post  
Oops, cross-posted with you Norm.

i actually thought of that Nursery Rhyme a while back and i fell back into religion.

~tim

P.S. i am beginning to think that the flame is life itself, for both the child, and the N. Is stanza 6-7 talking about alcoholism?

« Last Edit: Oct 15th, 2006 at 8:46pm by Tim »  

IP Logged

Normpo
Forum Administrator

Reply #42 - Oct 15th, 2006 at 8:34pm
Print Post  
off-track whacky thought... though there is no symbol for a potato --- or a baker or butcher...I guess we can not really ask if there is an implied "candelstick MAKER?

Norm
« Last Edit: Oct 15th, 2006 at 8:39pm by Normpo »  

IP Logged

Tim
Supreme Member

Reply #41 - Oct 15th, 2006 at 8:32pm
Print Post  
Hello Terence,

i understand what you are saying, and i think everyone in this thread would agree that this poem is intensely private, opened up for the reader. Thus, it has a semi-bio quality about it and if a reader has researched the poet, then they can make a lot of connections into facts easier. What i was trying to say was reiterated by Norm, if we take only what Sylvia Plath writes for us and try to break-down the meaning, then what is it we come to? Do we have enough information to support the idea of a miscarriage, depression, loneliness, etc.
Of course, my answer is yes to all of those because we have already covered those elements in detail with regards to her writing, and then supported by her bio. i am just trying to get us to stay with the poem, so to speak.

Okay, i want to quote two-and-a-half stanzas from a poem Sylvia Plath wrote two years earlier. They are in fact, the first stanza, the first two line of the second stanza and the last stanza. After reading this, i think you will see the theme of the candle being 'born' and continued in Nick and the Candlestick. This poem was called, simply enough, Candles

They are the last romantics, these candles:
Upside down hearts of light tipping wax fingers,
And the fingers, taken in by their own haloes,
Grown milky, almost clear, like the bodies of saints.
It is touching, the way they'll ignore

A whole family of prominent objects
Simply to plumb the deeps of an eye....

I watch their split tears cloud and dull to pearls.
How shall I tell anything at all
To this infant still in a birth-drowse?
Tonight, like a shawl, the mild light enfolds her,
The shadows stoop over like guests at a christening.

Yes, Sylvia Plath wrote 'deeps', not depths. That wasn't my translation mistake. 
i think you can see the introduction to the 'shawl' comparison and already a developing theme relating shadow/light/children. This may not unlock anything else in our discussion, i just thought it would be interesting to see where some of this treatment came from. i could probably trace it back farther, but why?

~tim
« Last Edit: Oct 15th, 2006 at 8:35pm by Tim »  

IP Logged

Terence
Gold Star Member

in an English country
garden ...

Reply #40 - Oct 15th, 2006 at 7:09pm
Print Post  
Hi Yvonne, I overlapped with your, and others, posts so I ended up basically reiterating what was said. The candlestick, though, is the holder of the candle rather than both together.

IP Logged

sierra
Gold Star Member

Reply #39 - Oct 15th, 2006 at 6:14pm
Print Post  
Quote:

As to the analogy to the candlestick, it seems logical to me that the candlestick is the womb, the candle is the physical baby - embryo/fetus - and the flame is the life of the baby.

Let me get this straight--because I thought this is what I had just said before--what is the difference between the candle and the candlestick ?~ I just thought they are one in the same.  I was saying the waxy part--the candle--is the body of the child, while the flame was the spirit (life).

IP Logged

nas
Supreme Member

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #38 - Oct 15th, 2006 at 5:55pm
Print Post  
Quote:
As to the analogy to the candlestick, it seems logical to me that the candlestick is the womb, the candle is the physical baby - embryo/fetus - and the flame is the life of the baby.

That's pretty much what I think Terence though I hadn't thought through the candle being the baby and the flame its life, which makes perfect sense.

IP Logged

Terence
Gold Star Member

in an English country
garden ...

Reply #37 - Oct 15th, 2006 at 5:38pm
Print Post  
With all due respect to you, Tim, and the poet, it IS a very personal poem and her life does have a bearing on its meaning, imo.

As to the analogy to the candlestick, it seems logical to me that the candlestick is the womb, the candle is the physical baby - embryo/fetus - and the flame is the life of the baby. The reference to the light burning blue indicates a danger to the babies life, as it would to a miners, and the possibility of the flame being extinguished, a miscarriage. Again, it is the candle, the body, that gulps and recovers its altitude - becomes more alive, out of danger, as evidenced by the yellowing of the flame.

IP Logged

sierra
Gold Star Member

Reply #36 - Oct 15th, 2006 at 4:35pm
Print Post  
Nick could be both the flame and the candlestick--I'm trying to focus on the creation of the candle Terence
pointed out.  The light on the candlestick could be the spirit and the candlestick would be the body's creation within her.  His spirit would then become her light, the light in the cave....both body and soul.

I hadn't seriously thought about how Christians use candles.  That's sad, too...I  light them now and then after Mass for intentions, or just to appease my son because he wants to light them!  I do seek them when there are particularly difficult times.  I guess they've become like a "going through the motions" sort of thing.  But I would say that to keep the candle burning for hope, keeping it alive in the darkness. 

So is she saying (in last stanza) that the flame is what is solid?  That's a powerful line!  I'm still trying to figure out "envious" and how it connects. 

« Last Edit: Oct 15th, 2006 at 4:43pm by sierra »  

IP Logged

nas
Supreme Member

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #35 - Oct 15th, 2006 at 3:18pm
Print Post  
Hi Norm

Reading through your post and the way wrote about the stalactites and similarly the candlestick gave me a very phallic image.  Shocked Shocked

Must have been all your talk about intellectual orgasms ??? 

IP Logged

Normpo
Forum Administrator

Reply #34 - Oct 15th, 2006 at 3:12pm
Print Post  
Addendum to previous post:

Also, those of you of a Christian faith or background -- with regard to the title ... think in terms of how important candles are in Christian theology, the services (Mass), etc.

I just went and read here to familiarize myself:

http://www.stjohnalaska.org/article.php?id=62&PHPSESSID=c0385566b9e0b04f51c43f8e...

Norm
« Last Edit: Oct 15th, 2006 at 3:12pm by Normpo »  

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
Send TopicPrint